Electrician in Civil Sea Rescue
JOB POSTING: ELECTRICIAN
As an organisation for civil sea rescue, we as SOS Humanity are working towards a world where no one has to drown while fleeing and everyone is treated with dignity. Founded in 2015 in Berlin as SOS Mediterranee Germany, we have been working in the Central Mediterranean since 2016. During this time, we were able to rescue 34,631 children, women, and men from drowning and brought them towards a safe place. With our new sea rescue ship, Humanity 1, we brought our own vessel the Central Mediterranean in August 2022.
For our marine crew we are looking for an Electrician on board the HUMANITY 1:
As part of the engine-team, the electrician is supervised by the Chief Engineer but is also required to work autonomously as the sole electrician on board.
Responsibilities & Duties:
• Maintain and repair main switch board and electrical ships propulsion system in close cooperation with Chief Engineer.
• Maintain and repair all other shipboard electrical systems and equipment, including, but not limited to:
o batteries, chargers and UPSs on board.
o electric motors, including spare motors.
o alternators and frequency controllers.
o communicational, navigational and operational technologies in compliance with required certifications.
o all electrical parts of decks machinery and equipment.
o all electrical parts inside accommodation.
o electrical power tools like drills, grinders etc.
o white goods, for instance dishwasher, hot water units, electrically driven domestic appliances.
o electrically driven heating appliances (including regular descaling).
• Maintaining and repairing all electronic and automation control, monitoring and safety systems
• Manage and handle the ships planned maintenance system (PMS)
• Create documentation of any own changes or modifications of on-board electric equipment, ongoing completion of all available related documentation
• Ensure safety standards of all shipboard electrical systems according to the relevant requirements and recommendations. For instance, but not limited to:
o Conduction of regular insulation measurement and monitoring of all on-board installations including electrical motors.
o Testing of portable electrical equipment in accordance with DGUV-V3.
• Order electrical spares and consumables after approval from Chief engineer, keep up-to date inventories. Ensure cleanliness and readiness of tools inside electrician’s workshop
• Instruct crew on safe handling of electric and electronic equipment, especially white goods and galley equipment if required. Inform crew about efficient use of energy on the ship, at sea and especially in port according to the Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP).
• Conduct engineering watch when personally qualified and watch is required in accordance with STCW Ch VIII.
• All other works and duties as delegated by the Chief Engineer are part of the work scope to ensure the overall responsibility and safe operation of the vessel. Assist the Chief Engineer in administration as required.
• Support Chief Engineer within any external and internal audits, PSC, class surveys etc.
• Participate in all required trainings and safety drills.
• Follow the Safety Management System (ISM)
• Observe, monitor and act according to all internal and external safety, quality and environmental regulations.
• Provide a written handover report at the end of each on-board cycle, covering general performance of the electrical equipment, any problems and any recommendations for replacement, maintenance, additional equipment, which will be shared with the Chief Engineer
Requirements and skills:
• Valid Certificate Electro-Technical Rating 750kW or more (STCW-III/7) or Electro Technical Officer (STCW-III/6)
• Valid Certificate of Proficiency in Basic Safety (STCW A-VI/1) (issued within the last 5 years)
• Valid Certificate of Security Awareness (STCW A-VI/6-1) (issued within the last 5 years) and Designated Security Duties (STCW A-VI/6-2)
• If available: Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats Other than Fast Rescue Boats (STCW A-VI/2-1)
• If available: Certificate Advanced Fire Fighting (STCW A-VI/3)
• Expert technical / troubleshooting experience
• Physical fitness and mental resilience (incl. valid Medical Fitness Certificate for Seafarers for respective position)
• Identification with Aims and Work of SOS Humanity
• Good teambuilding skills, especially in extreme situations
• Awareness of working for an NGO; potentially working with partially (sea) inexperienced volunteers and familiarity with principles of “flat hierarchies”
• Strong communication skills
• Good English language skills (confident communication in an international team; spontaneous, fluent, detailed communication with native speakers in a broad range of themes)
• Advanced PC knowledge, especially Microsoft Excel/Word skills
• Age: 23-70 years
• Vaccinations: Covid19 booster vaccination, measles, rubella, tetanus
• Ability to remain abstinent (drugs and alcohol) during rotation
• Experience working with pre-automation equipment and with Caterpillar motors
• Experience in maintaining/repairing hydraulic systems
• Advanced electrical engineering knowledge
• Experience with Electric Arc Welding (Manual and MAG)
• Salary: 2800 € / month (employee gross)
• Possibility for longer employment
• Travel Expenses
In addition to the Covid19 booster vaccination, a week of self-isolation and a negative Covid19-test (not older than 24h!) are required.
The HUMANITY 1 sails under German flag, therefore we are bound to European citizenship in certain positions. However, it is very important to us that our crew is as international and diverse as possible. In particular, we would like to encourage women* to apply in order to ensure a balanced gender ratio on board.
We are looking forward to receiving your application at hidden link - please login
- Deck Officer Jobs (105)
- Deck Rating Jobs (25)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (123)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (16)
- Catering Rating Jobs (24)
- Specialist Jobs (2)
- Other Maritime Jobs (59)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (43)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs (0)
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs (6)
- Training, Technical, Project, Superintendent Jobs (14)
- Shore Side Engineer, Surveyor, Inspector Jobs (15)
- Insurance, P&I, Claims Jobs (2)
- HR, Owner Representative, General Office Jobs (2)
- Offshore Jobs (8)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (0)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (2)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (1)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (1)
- Other Offshore Jobs (0)