Who are we?
British Antarctic Survey (BAS) delivers and enables world-leading interdisciplinary research in the Polar Regions. Its skilled science and support staff based in Cambridge, Antarctica and the Arctic, work together to deliver research that uses the Polar Regions to advance our understanding of Earth as a sustainable planet. Through its extensive logistic capability and know how BAS facilitates access for the British and international science community to the UK polar research operation. Numerous national and international collaborations, combined with an excellent infrastructure help sustain a world leading position for the UK in Antarctic affairs. British Antarctic Survey is a component of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). NERC is part of UK Research and Innovation hidden link - please login
We are looking for an Able Seaman with a keen sense of adventure, a mountain of ambition and a desire to make a difference. This role is available on board the Royal Research Ship Sir David Attenborough and is an open ended appointment.The successful candidate will take part in supporting research cruises carrying out research programmes and transporting people and supplies to the BAS research stations in Antarctica. If you would like to develop your career in Polar Science for Planet Earth then we would like to hear from you.
You will be required to ensure
- Safe handling and operation of all deck and scientific deck equipment.
- Safe handling of cargo and stores.
- Maintenance and cleanliness in the deck department, and to undertake general seamanship duties which will include
- The operation of deck machinery as directed by a Deck Officer or Petty Officer.
- To assist in safe rigging, deployment, recovery and stowage of scientific equipment.
- To assist with maintenance and cleanliness of the ship as directed.
- To undertake cargo operations including safe loading, stowage, lashing, discharge of cargo, scientific equipment, and stores.
- Participation in the preparation, operation and maintenance of boats as required.
- To assist in mooring and anchoring duties as required.
- To stand Bridge/Deck watches and ship-keeping duties in port as directed.
- General seamanship duties as required.
- To undertake any other duties consistent with the key responsibilities and duties of the post, as directed by the Master
- Deck Officer Jobs (107)
- Deck Rating Jobs (44)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (124)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (46)
- Catering Rating Jobs (35)
- Specialist Jobs (15)
- Other Maritime Jobs (84)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (15)
- Offshore Jobs (7)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (0)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (0)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (2)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (0)
- Other Offshore Jobs (0)