The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is currently looking for a Fourth Engineer to join the RRS Sir David Attenborough. This is an exciting opportunity to work on-board a cutting edge
diesel electric powered, ice class, vessel, which is a world-leading polar exploration and research vessel.
The successful candidate will be an integral member of the Ship’s Marine Team supporting Arctic research cruises in the northern summer and carrying out research programmes
and transporting people and supplies to the BAS research stations in Antarctica during the austral summer.
Responsible to: Polar Chief Engineer
Reporting officer: Polar Chief Engineer
Works closely with: Polar Chief Engineer, Engineering department, Chief Officer
- To be responsible for the management of an engine room watch or UMS duty watch and the maintenance of plant and machinery as instructed.
- To plan and execute carefully all duties and tasks assigned to them
Duties and Responsibilities
- To carry out maintenance, managing their specified tasks in accordance with the Planned
- Maintenance System and assist with other maintenance tasks under the direction of the Second Engineer Officer.
- To fully utilise the Planned Maintenance System ensuring that all routine and nonroutine tasks are correctly recorded, to provide future benefit.
- To assume special responsibility for the fuel oil and lube oil purifiers, fuel oil bunkering and internal fuel oil transfer, and to assist Polar C/E with Ship’s Bunkering Operations.
- To maintain the Oil Record Book under the supervision of the Second Engineer.
- To observe and report defects in any machinery and advise possible requirement for spares/stores.
- To take charge of and manage an engine room watch/duty watch at sea and in port under the direction of the Second Engineer.
- To develop a thorough knowledge of Engine Room systems and understudy the Second Engineer Officer position for future career progression.
- To assist the Second Engineer with the implementation and operation of Ship’s Winterisation procedures.
- To have an understanding of the BAS Permit to Work systems and assist and comply with its use.
- To undertake any other duties consistent with the key responsibilities and duties of the post, as directed by the Master
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
- Deck Officer Jobs (162)
- Deck Rating Jobs (68)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (205)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (72)
- Catering Rating Jobs (43)
- Specialist Jobs (20)
- Other Maritime Jobs (63)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (48)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs (0)
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs (8)
- Training, Technical, Project, Superintendent Jobs (17)
- Shore Side Engineer, Surveyor, Inspector Jobs (8)
- Insurance, P&I, Claims Jobs (8)
- HR, Owner Representative, General Office Jobs (3)
- Offshore Jobs (6)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (0)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (1)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (1)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (1)
- Other Offshore Jobs (0)