The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is currently recruiting a PO Motorman. This is an exciting opportunity to work on-board a polar exploration and research vessel. The state-of-the-art on-board facilities and future-proof containerised laboratories on this world-leading science platform will offer new research opportunities for polar scientists.
The successful candidates will take part in supporting research cruises carrying out research programmes and transporting people and supplies to the BAS research stations in Antarctica.
Who we are
British Antarctic Survey (BAS) delivers and enables world-leading interdisciplinary research in the Polar Regions. Its skilled science and support staff based in Cambridge, Antarctica and the Arctic, work together to deliver research that uses the Polar Regions to advance our understanding of Earth as a sustainable planet. Through its extensive logistic capability and know-how BAS facilitates access for the British and international science community to the UK polar research operation. Numerous national and international collaborations, combined with an excellent infrastructure help sustain a world-leading position for the UK in Antarctic affairs.
British Antarctic Survey is a component of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). NERC is part of UK Research and Innovation www.ukri.org We employ experts from many different professions to carry out our Science as well as to keep the lights on, feed the research and support teams, and keep everyone safe! If you are looking for an opportunity to work with amazing people in amazing places, then British Antarctic Survey could be for you. We aim to attract the best people for those jobs.
- To assist with the safety, cleanliness and maintenance of machinery spaces.
- To work as directed by the Second Engineer.
- To take part in Engine Room watch keeping roster at sea and in port as required.
- To plan and execute carefully all duties and tasks assigned to them
- Seafarer Medical Certificate (ENG1) without restrictions
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
- Four Elements of STCW basic training to STCW 2010, as amended (PST, FPFF, EFA & PSSR)
- STCW A-III/5 Able Seafarer Engine Certificate
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats
- Evidence of continual professional development
- To work to the requirements and instructions of the Second Engineer.
- To assist Engineers, the Electrical Technical Officer (ETO) and Deck Engineer as required.
- To assist in the safe loading and stowing of spares, stores and tools.
- To assist with routine maintenance as instructed, including oiling and greasing routines.
- To assist CPO Motorman with PMS Routines as directed/advised by Second Engineer.
- To help maintain machinery spaces, workshops and storage areas in a clean, tidy and safe condition.
- To assist in the fabric maintenance of machinery spaces including those outside the main engine rooms.
- Assisting the CPO Motorman with maintaining and repairing the vacuum toilet units
- To clean such public accommodation spaces as directed by the Second Engineer, in the event of leakages, spills, etc. that would fall within the remit of the Engineering Department.
- To use the Permit to Work system, as directed by the Second Engineer.
- To assist the Polar Chief Engineer and Fourth Engineer during bunkering operations with hose management and bunkering supervision as required and advised.
- To assist in Engine room watch keeping as sea and in port as required by Second Engineer.
- To operate waste processing equipment as required.
- To complete morning rounds of machinery spaces as directed by Second Engineer ensuring any defects are noted, and if appropriate cleaned up, reporting all defects to Second Engineer.
- To be a trained member of the Flight Deck fire-fighting team.
- To undertake any other duties consistent with the key responsibilities and duties of the post, as directed by the Ship Master.
- Deck Officer Jobs (143)
- Deck Rating Jobs (77)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (168)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (72)
- Catering Rating Jobs (53)
- Specialist Jobs (16)
- Other Maritime Jobs (43)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (63)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs (2)
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs (17)
- Training, Technical, Project, Superintendent Jobs (18)
- Shore Side Engineer, Surveyor, Inspector Jobs (6)
- Insurance, P&I, Claims Jobs (5)
- HR, Owner Representative, General Office Jobs (10)
- Offshore Jobs (8)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (0)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (1)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (1)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (1)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (1)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (0)
- Other Offshore Jobs (0)