Business Development Manager and Secretary to Councils
- Posted by:
- Society of Maritime Industries
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs
- Vessel type:
- £45,000 - £52,000 dependent on experience
- April 21, 2021
Business Development Manager and Secretary to Councils – Society of Maritime Industries
ESSENTIAL - good working knowledge and experience within the maritime sector, both in the UK and overseas
Role – Business Development Manager and Secretary to Councils
Organisation – Society of Maritime Industries
Hours – Full time
Location – Central London with travel within the UK and Internationally. Scope for some remote working
Salary – Competitive depending on experience
We are recruiting for an exciting new opportunity for a senior manager at the Society of Maritime Industries (SMI), the trade association for the UK’s maritime engineering and business sector. Its broad membership ranges from large prime contractors to SMEs. Member companies select to participate in one, or more, of six groups relevant to their activities in commercial marine, maritime defence & security, maritime autonomy, ports and terminal infrastructure, marine science & technology, and maritime digital technology. Each group has a council of elected members led by one of the Society’s directors and reports to the Society’s governing board of senior industrialists.
This vacancy is as a result of the promotion of the present post holder to SMI Chief Executive in August 2020.
The position involves the dual role of Business Development Manager for SMI, and Secretary to two Councils:
- Commercial Marine Group (CMG) Council
- Ports & Terminals Group (PTG) Council
In this role, you will:
- Report to the SMI Chief Executive, with guidance from the Chair of the Councils, and play a leading part in recruiting and retaining SMI members.
- Be the primary day to day contact for SMI with the Department for International Trade, attend industry meetings and work with various bodies to promote and be the voice for the interests of members and the Society.
- Recruit, establish, organise and administer national and international events, conferences, seminars and presentations and manage internal and external missions.
- Act as Secretary to the two Councils under your responsibility and effectively manage the operation, administration and promotion of the Councils and their work.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have a creative mindset able to create new events based around member feedback and industry themes.
- have a good working knowledge of the maritime sector, both in the UK and overseas.
- be experienced in managing and directing commercial matters and ideally have experience of cost centre management
- be a confident and competent communicator and networker who is able to positively promote the interests of members and the industry at senior levels
- need to be adept at managing your time and priorities, confident at project management and able to deal with multiple and conflicting priorities and commitments
This role is based in London with the expectation that the role will be 2-3 days per week in the office based going forward with working from home the rest of the time. Candidates will need to be within commutable distance of London to manage morning and evening event attendance. You will need to be able to commit to national and international travel. Overseas travel is planned ahead to biennial exhibitions with missions also to manage. This can mean 3+ weeks per annum of overseas travel.
For more details about this role, please see the recruitment pack attached. You will need to submit your CV, covering letter, references and salary expectation
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
- Deck Officer Jobs (54)
- Deck Rating Jobs (44)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (56)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (12)
- Catering Rating Jobs (25)
- Specialist Jobs (1)
- Other Maritime Jobs (7)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (52)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs (1)
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs (14)
- Training, Technical, Project, Superintendent Jobs (14)
- Shore Side Engineer, Surveyor, Inspector Jobs (10)
- Insurance, P&I, Claims Jobs (3)
- HR, Owner Representative, General Office Jobs (6)
- Offshore Jobs (24)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (0)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (0)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (2)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (1)
- Other Offshore Jobs (20)