Inside LNG Cargo Tank
Membrane tanks are non-self-supported cargo tanks surrounded by a complete double hull ship structure.
I was fortunate enough able to witness entering one of those tanks during our gas-free periods at the time I was serving on MISC Berhad Official LNG tankers when we had our dry dock in Johor Pasir Gudang Malaysia Marine & Heavy Engineering. There were "Puteri Delima Satu", "Seri Bijaksana" and "Seri Begawan". 3 times entries of the LNG cargo tank during vessels in the shipyard. The last one was in 2012.
The membrane containment tanks consist of a thin layer of metal (primary barrier), insulation, secondary membrane barrier, and further insulation in a sandwich construction.
The membrane is designed in such a way that thermal and other expansion or contraction is compensated for without undue stressing of the membrane.
Memories like this last a lifetime.
You can follow James on LinkedIn.
- Deck Officer Jobs (107)
- Deck Rating Jobs (43)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (124)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (46)
- Catering Rating Jobs (35)
- Specialist Jobs (15)
- Other Maritime Jobs (85)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (15)
- Offshore Jobs (7)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (0)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (0)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (2)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (0)
- Other Offshore Jobs (0)