Radar Observer Recertification
- Course Type:
- Additional STCW courses
- Training School:
- Resolve Maritime Academy
- Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States of America
- 1 day
The purpose of the Radar Observer Recertification (S034) course is to provide mariners with refresher training in radar plotting, navigation and collision avoidance and document the student’s demonstration of the knowledge, skills and abilities regarding the operation of commercial marine radars.
This course meets the requirements of 46 CFR 11.480 (d) & (f) – Renewal of a Radar Observer Endorsement and is in accordance with Table A-II/1 of the STCW code as amended 2010 - use of radar to maintain safety of navigation and the OICNW assessment requirements of NVIC 12-14 Tasks: 1.4A, 1.4B, 3.1A thru 3.4H.
On completion of this course, the trainee will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills in the following. These objectives include but are not limited to:
- Correct use and setting of the Radar equipment including the interpretation of Radar information.
- Use of Radar in improving situational awareness.
- Radar plotting techniques.
- Application of COLREGS when using the Radar.
To pass this course a candidate must:
- Participate in class
- Complete exercises and assignments
- Obtain a passing grade of 70% in the written assessment
- Obtain a passing grade of 80% in the Radar Observer Plotting Exam.
Taking the practical assessment
- Practical competency is evaluated in an underway simulation exercise allowing each trainee to operate specific functions for obtaining the range and bearing of the targets and manually plotting them on the radar plotting sheet. With the help of the plot, find the CPA, TCPA, bearing at CPA, Target Course and speed. For the dangerous targets, determine the course change (allowing for time delay) required to pass at a safe CPA of 2nm. The actions taken must comply with the relevant part of the COLREGS.
- Detailed descriptions of all practical or simulator examinations, tests, or exercises that describe the situation presented to the learner; what the learners must do to successfully complete each test; and how each learner's performance will be evaluated and recorded. A separate checklist shall be provided to evaluate the simulator examination and what is considered a passing score.
Achieve a minimum grade of 70% in the final written assessment and 80% on the final Radar plotting practical exam. A course completion certificate will be issued to the student upon successful completion of all course requirements and assessments.
Candidates must hold a valid USCG approved Radar Observer Endorsement.
This course is available on the following days:
(please check the availability with the training school)
- 23rd August 2019 (8 places)
- 28th August 2019 (8 places)
- 30th August 2019 (8 places)
- 4th September 2019 (8 places)
- 6th September 2019 (8 places)
- 10th September 2019 (8 places)
- 12th September 2019 (8 places)
- 16th September 2019 (8 places)
- 18th September 2019 (8 places)