Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
£295 GBP (incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Firefighting (Basic)
- Training School:
- South West Maritime Academy
- Cromhall, South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
- 1 day
Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting:
This Update course conforms with STCW95/2010 Manilla Amendments requiring specific certifications to be updates every 5 years.
Section A-VI/1 of the STCW Code (paragraph 3) states that ‘Seafarers qualified in accordance with paragraph 2 in basic training shall be required, every five years, to provide evidence of having maintained the required standard of competence, to undertake the tasks, duties and responsibilities listed in column 1 of table A VI/1-2.’
This course contains some exercises that are physically demanding. Any candidate unsure of their fitness for such activities should consult their doctor.
The learner is able to maintain the required standard of competence in fire prevention and fire fighting.
1. Correctly use portable and mobile (wheeled) fire extinguishers on appropriate fire types
2. Correctly use hoses, nozzles and hose equipment, including:
i. Different types and sizes of hose and their connections;
ii. Different types of nozzle;
iii. Nozzle maintenance and stowage requirements;
iv. Use of foam-making equipment.
3. Extinguish different types of fi res as a member of a team using a range of equipment commonly
found on board, including:
i. Fires with foam, powder or any other suitable chemical agent;
ii. Confi ned area fi re with water fog applicator;
iii. Oil fi re with dry chemical powder/foam applicators;
iv. Extensive fires with water using jet/spray nozzles
4. Test and use BA and associated equipment, covering:
i. Principles of operation of typical BA equipment;
ii. Equipment checks on start-up and use;
iii. Gauge checks, correct team working and communication;
iv. Safe procedures (door opening, ladder use, search procedures, rescue techniques and evacuation
procedures) in reduced visibility/foam;
v. Casualty rescue (using a dummy), communication and team work in a smoke-filled environment;
vi. Fighting fire in an accommodation or engine room area in heavy smoke.
Certification: Certificate of Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention And Fire Fighting
Seafarers who have a certificate of Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting.
NB – certificates of proficiency issued under the authority of other administrations will be acceptable.
This course is available on the following days:
(please check the availability with the training school)
- 11th September 2019 (12 places)
- 2nd October 2019 (12 places)
- 30th October 2019 (12 places)
- 27th November 2019 (12 places)
- 18th December 2019 (12 places)
- 29th January 2020 (12 places)
- 26th February 2020 (12 places)
- 25th March 2020 (12 places)
- 29th April 2020 (12 places)
- 27th May 2020 (12 places)
- 24th June 2020 (12 places)
- 29th July 2020 (12 places)
- 26th August 2020 (12 places)
- 23rd September 2020 (12 places)
- 28th October 2020 (12 places)