ISPS Security Officer
- Course Type:
- Ship Security Officer
- Training School:
- Bluewater Crew Training USA
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States of America
- 3 days
Commercial yachts over 500 GT are required to be certified in the International Ship and Port Facility Security code(ISPS) and to have an officer qualified with an MCA Ship Security Officer course.
The code was introduced in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in New York in 2001. Students learn how to establish and implement a ship security plan. The code formally requires certain actions by ship staff in terms of onboard organization, security plans, risk assessments, physical security equipment and training.
Upon completion of the course, the SSO will understand how to:
- undertake regular security inspections of the ship to ensure that appropriate security measures are maintained
- maintain and supervise the implementation of the ship security plan, including any amendments to the plan
- co-ordinate the security aspects of the handling of cargo and ship’s stores with other shipboard personnel and with the relevant port facility security officers;
- propose modifications to the ship security plan
- report to the company security officer, any deficiencies and non-conformities identified during internal audits, periodic reviews, security inspections and verifications of compliance and the implementation of any corrective actions;
- enhance security awareness and vigilance on board
- ensure that adequate training has been provided to shipboard personnel, and the reporting of all security incidents
Assessment: Continuous in course plus an examination
Requirements: Approved sea going service of not less than 12 months.
Evening Course Dates Available
This course is scheduled as an EVENING Course! To meet the requisite hours of training set forth by the issuing authority, this course is scheduled from 17h00m until 22h30m each evening.