Electronic Chart Display Inform ation Systems (ECDIS)
- Course Type:
- Training School:
- STAR Center
- Dania Beach, Florida, United States of America
- 5 days
Each student who successfully completes this course will be knowledgeable of and have proficiency in EDIS. Additionally, students will gain knowledge of:
- The basic principles governing the safe operation of ECDIS (or ECS), including electronic chart data and their presentation, performance standards, as well as the system-related limitations and potential dangers;
- The ability to generate and maintain displays, to operate all basic navigational functions for route planning as well as route monitoring, to use and select proper navigational data and to display the data in the appropriate manner. They will also be able to perform updating;
- The ability to analyze nautical alarms during route planning and route monitoring as well as sensor alarms. They will be able to assess the impact of the performance limits of sensors on the safe use of ECDIS and to appreciate that the back-up system may be only of limited performance. They will be able to assess errors, inaccuracies and ambiguities caused by improper data management. Thus, the student will be aware of errors in displayed data, errors of interpretation and the risk of over-reliance on ECDIS and be able to take proper action.
- In addition, the student will have knowledge of the various types of electronic chart databases available, realize their legal aspects and standing with regard to use in ECDIS or other electronic chart systems.
This is a classroom course that is intended to meet the ECDIS training requirements as listed above in the USCG Approved and STCW Compliant Course Certificate section.
This course is open to students who have a need for such training as required by the United States Coast Guard and STCW as amended. Each student should have an STCW Certification as an “Officer-in-Charge of a Navigational Watch” or have an equivalent and experiential background, be in good physical health and speaks and understands English.