Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)
- Course Type:
- Training School:
- Warsash Maritime School
- Southampton, United Kingdom
- 5 days
The aim of the course is to equip students with the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to keep a safe navigational watch using Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS), interfaced with other onboard equipment to maintain safety of navigation.
This course meets the following requirements:
- ECDIS simulator training approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), meeting the requirements laid down in Regulation II/1, II/2 and II/3 of the STCW Convention, 1978, as amended, and Tables, A-II/1, A-II/2 and A-II/3 of the STCW Code.
- This training meets the learning outcomes of IMO Model Course 1.27, delivered over a period of at least 40 hours.
- The course is based on Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) criteria for ECDIS training and approved by the MCA. It is also approved by Wärtsilä for type-specific training on the Navi Sailor 4000 ECDIS.
Students who successfully complete this course will be issued with a certification for Generic ECDIS training (IMO Model course 1.27) and a Wärtsilä Type Specific Certificate* for Navi Sailor 4000 ECDIS.
* Where ECDIS training is delivered as part of structured competency programmes (HNC/HND/FD) with Warsash Maritime School, students can obtain a Wärtsilä Type Specific Certificate by paying an additional fee – further details are available from the training centre during the course.
This course now includes unlimited access to an online module containing course notes, revision quizzes and lots of other useful information. View a demonstration version (you will need to create an account for the online learning system. Your details will not be used for marketing purposes). When you book a place on the ECDIS course, you will be sent access details for the full version of the online module.
STCW 2010 Manila Amendments
The STCW Convention 1978 has been amended by the 2010 Manila Amendments and contains new requirements:
All deck officers (including yacht officers) applying for a new or revalidating a UK Certificate of Competency, are required to include an ECDIS certificate with their application. If an ECDIS certificate is not included with an application, the CoC will have the following limitation: "From 1 January 2017, this certificate is not valid for service on ships fitted with ECDIS",
The Master and all deck officers of UK-flagged vessels (including yachts) which have ECDIS as their primary means of navigation are required to have completed both generic and equipment specific ECDIS training. (see also MIN 503).
Other flag states have similar requirements - you are advised to check with them directly if you are unsure.