- Course Type:
- Training School:
- online course
- 1 day
An ECDIS awareness course is a course that aims to provide you with the basic knowledge and skills to use an Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS), which is a computer-based navigation system that integrates electronic navigational charts, GPS, radar, and other sensors.
ECDIS awareness course covers topics such as legal requirements and case studies, types of electronic charts and data, sensors and navigational functions, route planning, data representation, and alerts, logging, documentation and updates. The course also explains the key aspects of ECDIS, such as display setup, CATZOC, safety depth and safety contour, ENC compilation scale, SCAMIN, alarms and warnings, and the risks related to over-reliance and incorrect system setup.
Certification and approval
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate.
The course is delivered through an online learning platform and consists of lectures, videos, quizzes and case studies.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- understand the legal requirements and case studies related to ECDIS, as per the SOLAS, STCW, IMO, and other regulations and guidelines
- distinguish between different types of electronic charts and data
- operate the sensors and navigational functions of ECDIS, such as GPS, radar, AIS, ARPA, etc.
- plan routes, display data, and manage alerts on ECDIS, such as waypoints, tracks, safety depth, safety contour, ENC compilation scale, SCAMIN, alarms and warnings, etc.
- log, document and update the ECDIS system and data, such as chart licenses, chart corrections, system settings, backup procedures, etc.
- Legal requirements and case studies
- Types of electronic charts and data
- Sensors and navigational functions
- Route planning, data representation, and alerts
- Logging, Documentation and Updates
Regulations and guidelines
This course is based on the following regulations and guidelines:
- SOLAS, Chapter V
- The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW)
- IMO Model Course 1.27 Operational use of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)
- MSC 232(82) Revised performance standards for Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)
- MSC 1503 ECDIS – Guidance for good practice
- INTERTANKO Guide to Safe Navigation (including ECDIS)
An ECDIS awareness course is an optional course that provides a general overview of ECDIS for seafarers who are not directly involved in navigation or who want to refresh their knowledge.