Navigation and Radar (OOW Yachts)
- Course Type:
- Officer of the Watch (Yachts) - Less than 3,000GT
- Training School:
- Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
- 15 days
The OOW Navigation course is taught Monday to Friday for the duration of three weeks. The first two weeks are classroom based and in the first week you will cover all the required principles for chartwork, secondary port tidal calculations and radar plotting. The second week focuses on theory based subjects such as Radar and ARPA principles – operation and use, AIS, GPS, bridge and watchkeeping procedures, voyage planning and rules of the road. You will also have guided mock exams throughout the second week in preparation for your IAMI exam at the end of this module.
The third week will see practical use of your skills set in a simulator environment where rules of the road, watchkeeping and bridge procedures in varying conditions will be both taught and assessed continuously.
Food and accommodation are available onsite at UKSA. The residential price for this course is £3,940.
• At least RYA Yachtmaster certificate, together with the corresponding RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased certificate
• Plus STCW Basic Training.
Examination and assessment:
Navigation and Radar (OOW Yacht) course assessment consists of a 2.5 hour theory paper. A 60% mark is required to pass the examination.
This course is available on the following days:
(please check the availability with the training school)
- 20th March 2023 (1 place)
- 10th April 2023 (1 place)
- 15th May 2023 (1 place)
- 10th July 2023 (1 place)
- 25th September 2023 (1 place)
- 23rd October 2023 (1 place)
- 20th November 2023 (1 place)