Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker Training. Code: 1271
£900 GBP (incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- Tanker (Oil, LNG, LPG)
- Training School:
- KVH Videotel
- online course
- 2 days
This course provides an introduction to oil and chemical tankers and imparts the basic knowledge needed to serve as a member of the crew on these types of vessel. The course is designed to meet the specialised training requirements for personnel on certain types of ship under Chapter V of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended.
Officers, ratings and trainees serving on oil and chemical tankers and experienced officers and ratings transferring to oil and chemical tankers from other specialised vessels.
- To provide an introduction to oil and chemical tankers and impart the specialist knowledge required to serve on oil and chemical tankers and undertake specific duties relating to cargo and cargo equipment
- To prepare learners for the advanced courses in oil and chemical tanker operations.
- To provide a course meeting the mandatory requirements of Regulation V/1-1 and Section A-V/1-1 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended.
Course Delivery and Assessment
This eLearning course is delivered using modern, interactive Computer Based Training (CBT) comprising text with (optional) English language voiceover, still photographs, video clips, animations and interactive exercises. Learners will follow simple onscreen instructions to progress through the course, testing their knowledge as they progress through a number of different subject modules.
There are 8 modules associated with the course:
- The Physics and Chemistry of Oil and Chemical Cargoes
- Hazards and their Management
- Ship Design and Equipment
- Oil and Chemical Tanker Operations
- Inert Gas Systems
- Safety and Pollution Prevention
- Emergency Procedures
The pass mark for all parts of this course is 70%.
On successful completion of this course, candidates would be expected to consolidate their knowledge by performing their role onboard ship and enrolling on the KVH Videotel Advanced Oil Tanker or Advanced Chemical Tanker training course.
It is estimated that 20 guided learning hours are required to complete this course. This includes the time needed to:
- follow the course and complete the onscreen tests
- carry out additional reading and research
- complete the written assignments
Candidates requiring STCW certification will need to complete and submit to KVH Videotel:
- an enrolment form (Form F1)
- written assignments linked to the course modules
- a colour copy of the photo page of the candidate’s passport
Upon receiving correct documentation, the candidate’s work will be assessed by Flag approved assessors and a digital assessment report issued.
- Regulation V/1-1 and Section A-V/1-1 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended.
(For further information refer to the ‘STCW Convention and Code including 2010 Manila Amendments’, 2017 Edition).
- The SOLAS Convention
- The MARPOL Convention
For further information on this KVH Videotel course please contact our courses team.
Candidates should have completed recognized training in tanker fire fighting.