Junior Watchkeeper - Radio Navigation Warnings
- Posted by:
- The UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs
- Vessel type:
- £26,737 rising to £33,287 on completion of training and development, plus shift allowance
- Taunton, Somerset
- December 16, 2021
An excellent career development opportunity under the guidance of experienced Watchkeepers and a staged programme of training, playing a key role in ensuring the safety of mariners at sea.
About the UKHO
UKHO is an executive agency, sponsored by the Ministry of Defence. We work with a wide range of data suppliers and partners, surveying and charting the world's oceans in order to develop and serve world leading software and data solutions to commercial shipping companies, navies and maritime organisations. Our products ensure safe navigation and global trade efficiency and support other marine activities including economic development, environmental protection, resource exploration and utilisation, scientific research and security and defence.
The Radio Navigation Warnings (RNW) team fulfils the day-to-day operational functions of NAVAREA I Co-ordinator and UK National Co-ordinator within the World-Wide Navigation Warning Service (WWNWS). It also provides a separate bespoke service for the Royal Navy during peacetime. The team is continuously manned by Watchkeepers who assess incoming data for urgent risks to the safety of navigation and, as required, promulgate immediately as Maritime Safety Information.
Under the guidance of experienced Watchkeepers, your general tasks will include:
- Maintaining RNW operational lists, displays, publications and records.
- Archiving RNW records in accordance with current practices.
- Other day to day operational tasks associated with/or in support of the role of NAVAREA I Co-ordinator and UK National Coordinator (e.g. advising on procedural matters, liaising with external civil/military authorities on operational matters affecting RNW).
- Supporting Senior Watchkeepers with briefs to external visitors and internal staff as required regarding the role that RNW fulfil.
- Undertaking training to support development as laid out in the B3 to B2 progression plan
What we are looking for
Successful applicants for the role will work alongside another Watchkeeper assessing a continuous flow of information for navigational significance and issuing resulting warnings within a short time period – so the ability to maintain focus and deliver at pace will be key. When issuing Radio Navigation Warnings, the Watchkeeper is directly representing the United Kingdom and Navarea I, so the successful candidate will need to be comfortable with this remit. You will be engaging with mariners and stakeholders across national and international organisations along with internal stakeholders and subject matter experts. A genuine interest in ensuring the safety of the Mariner at sea is fundamental to the role.
And in return?
You will gain experience of working in a modern, flexible and supportive working environment with great benefits, alongside colleagues who are passionate about what we deliver for our customers.
We will actively empower you to develop yourself and provide flexible working practices for a healthy work/life balance. You will also benefit from a brand-new award-winning office, with use of our on-site gym, free parking and subsidised canteen.
For a full job description, including the competencies you will be assessed on in your application, please click the apply button.
Please note successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
This is a Ministry of Defence Reserved post open to UK nationals only, successful applicants will require a security clearance and therefore need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 12 consecutive months within the last 5 years
Closing date: 4 January 2022.
Selection for appointment to the Civil Service is on merit, on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s Recruitment Principles.
Location: Taunton, Somerset
Salary: £26,737 rising to £33,287 on completion of training and development, plus shift allowance
Hours: Full time / Part time / Flexible
- Deck Officer Jobs (119)
- Deck Rating Jobs (77)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (134)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (81)
- Catering Rating Jobs (35)
- Specialist Jobs (20)
- Other Maritime Jobs (34)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (39)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs (1)
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs (14)
- Training, Technical, Project, Superintendent Jobs (11)
- Shore Side Engineer, Surveyor, Inspector Jobs (3)
- Insurance, P&I, Claims Jobs (5)
- HR, Owner Representative, General Office Jobs (4)
- Offshore Jobs (9)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (1)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (0)
- Production Jobs (1)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (0)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (1)
- Other Offshore Jobs (3)