Maritime Advisor (Sailing Directions)
Featured Job Urgent Job
- Posted by:
- The UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs
- Vessel type:
- £28,014 increasing to £33,287 on successful completion of training and development programme.
- September 30, 2021
Hours: Full time, part time, job share
Salary: £28,014 increasing to £33,287 on successful completion of training and development programme. A Recruitment and Retention Allowance up to a maximum of £7,000 is also applicable to this role on top of basic salary. It is awarded according to a framework of specialist skills, knowledge and experience – some of which will be gained once developed in the role.
If you have sea going experience in a navigation role, and now want to apply your skills and experience to support the maritime community in a different way, then this could be the role for you.
As a Maritime Advisor, you will utilise your experience to provide safe, accurate and timely navigational information for the Mariner.
The UKHO is transforming to meet the changing Maritime environment – in this role, you will have the opportunity to share your external user experience to contribute to and support the development of products and services to meet current and future customer needs. We are looking for team players with a proactive approach to identifying and taking forward improvements to ways of working. An eye for detail and the ability to write clear, user focused sailing directions are also key requirements for the role.
UKHO is an executive agency, sponsored by the Ministry of Defence. We work with a wide range of data suppliers and partners, surveying and charting the world's oceans in order to develop and serve world leading software and data solutions to commercial shipping companies, navies and maritime organisations. Our products ensure safe navigation and global trade efficiency and support other marine activities including economic development, environmental protection, resource exploration and utilisation, scientific research and security and defence.
Your primary remit will be to assess incoming data and edit the ADMIRALTY Sailing Direction volumes as required. Maritime Advisors apply their navigational and maritime knowledge and experience in assessing the impact of incoming data and utilise their clear written English to update sailing directions for a seafaring audience.
Maritime Advisor roles exist within the Impact Analysis (Operations Division), and Digital Products, Services and Publications Groups (Customer Division). Successful candidates will join a Maritime Advisor team at the B3 level. As you learn and develop in the role you will be measured against a defined skills and competency framework and, once the required level is reached, normally within 12-18 months, you will become a B2 Maritime Advisor, where you will also be expected to:
- Provide navigational expertise in response to queries from both internal and external customers
- Provide mariner's input to product development
- Provide mariner’s perspective/advice to other areas of the business when required
- Provide clear coaching and mentoring for the development of the team
The role will be contractually based at our Head Office in Taunton. We are working remotely at present but envisage a hybrid working model post pandemic whereby you will be able to balance your work location between working remotely and in the office. You must be able to travel to the office as and when required.
UKHO is a great place in which to explore your career potential. While our projects are career-defining, the work/life balance that we can offer you is equally exceptional. From flexitime, flexible working, an award-winning office environment and a generous annual leave allowance of 34.5 days including public holidays, the opportunities open to you here are hard to beat.
For a full job description, including the assessment criteria, please click the apply button to be taken to our website.
Closing date: 23:55 Sunday 17th October 2021.
UKHO embraces diversity and promotes inclusion and equality of opportunity. We are a Disability Confident employer, which includes offering a guaranteed interview to candidates with disabilities, providing they meet the minimum selection criteria.
Please note the post requires the candidate to successfully gain BPSS and SC Clearance.
- Deck Officer Jobs (91)
- Deck Rating Jobs (46)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (120)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (32)
- Catering Rating Jobs (47)
- Specialist Jobs (14)
- Other Maritime Jobs (26)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (45)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs (2)
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs (13)
- Training, Technical, Project, Superintendent Jobs (8)
- Shore Side Engineer, Surveyor, Inspector Jobs (5)
- Insurance, P&I, Claims Jobs (7)
- HR, Owner Representative, General Office Jobs (7)
- Offshore Jobs (29)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (0)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (3)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (1)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (3)
- Other Offshore Jobs (20)