Mechanical Design Engineer
Our Shipbuilding client, based outside of Glasgow, is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer. The role is responsible for the design and engineering of ships piping and mechanical systems, machinery and installations and to ensure that deliverables comply with project requirements (specs, budget, time) and applicable laws and regulations.
The Successful Applicant
- Recognised qualification in Marine Design Engineering.
- 5+ years relevant professional technical experience, preferably within the Shipbuilding industry.
- Experience of working and ability to analyse and interpret technical information and engineering drawings.
- Experienced working in complex project environments within commercial industrial businesses.
- Broad technical expertise in the field of ships marine systems and engineering.
- Proficient in Office software, especially MS Excel.
- Proficient in detailed engineering with 2D & 3D CAD software.
- Familiar with national and international standards and regulations.
- Up to date with latest technical developments and industry insiders.
- Knowledgeable in interrelated technical disciplines.
- Good spoken and written communication skills for dealing with people both within and outside the engineering profession.
- Must be a team player and be able to work independently on challenging projects that may have tight timelines.
- Commercial awareness.
- Possess initiative and good interpersonal skills.
- Chartered Membership/CEng.
- Participation in Company-driven research and development activities, particularly the development of a prototype hydrogen fuel cell powered commercial RoPax ferry.
- Concept and feasibility design studies of engineering systems.
- Design and Specification of Propulsion systems.
- Prepare technical proposals for Customers.
- Contribute to project planning: deliverables, scope, conditions, activities, resources, budget, timelines, progress.
- Formulate technical specifications in accordance with Customer requirements.
- Support the preparation of submittals to relevant Classification Society and other regulatory bodies.
- Perform design studies and prepare basic design documents (preliminary machinery arrangements, conceptual system diagrams, heat balance, pump sizing etc.).
- Make technical calculations for heat and cooling loads, pressure loss calculation, pipe sizing, pump and valve selection; interpret data, evaluate feasibility and assess risks.
- Compose detailed 2D design and drawings including instructions for construction (Machinery Arrangement, P&ID systems diagrams; heat balance).
- Updating and review of 3D design model.
- Prepare Bill of Materials including technical procurement details.
- Support the development of standard technical processes and procedures.
- Technical management of engineering subcontractors during construction.
- Technical representative (alignment / expertise / support) within the Company.
- Contribute to test and commissioning programs (also during construction stage).
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical problems (also during construction stage).
- Maintain technical documentation.
- Production support through build, including management of change process.
Remuneration Package on Offer
Competitive Salary and Benefits Package
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
- Deck Officer Jobs (49)
- Deck Rating Jobs (11)
- Engineering Officer Jobs (47)
- Engineering Rating Jobs (2)
- Catering Rating Jobs (18)
- Specialist Jobs (2)
- Other Maritime Jobs (48)
Shore Side Jobs
- Shore Side Jobs (31)
- Marine Executive, Fleet Management and Advisor Jobs (1)
- Business Development, Management and Operational Jobs (0)
- Training, Technical, Project, Superintendent Jobs (20)
- Shore Side Engineer, Surveyor, Inspector Jobs (5)
- Insurance, P&I, Claims Jobs (4)
- HR, Owner Representative, General Office Jobs (0)
- Offshore Jobs (37)
- Drilling / Rig Jobs (1)
- ROV/Diving Jobs (0)
- Production Jobs (0)
- Oilfield Services Jobs (0)
- Procurement & Construction Jobs (0)
- Engineering & Science Jobs (0)
- Geosciences Jobs (0)
- Maintenance & Inspection Jobs (0)
- Health, Safety & Environment Jobs (2)
- Refining & Petrochem Jobs (0)
- Business, IT, HR & Admin Jobs (0)
- Trades & Technicians Jobs (3)
- Other Offshore Jobs (29)